This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Access Statement for The Aberford
Situated in the centre of Blackpool, 30 seconds from the Promenade and minutes away from all the shops, bars and attractions the Aberford is the perfect place to stay. We are a ten minute taxi ride away from the train station (around £5.00) and Blackpool central bus station is a five minute walk. The Aberford is situated on a flat road.
We offer 20 bedrooms, one of which is on the ground floor with an en-suite shower which has a slight step to access. For breakfast, where possible, we use locally sourced ingredients and cater for varying dietary requirements. All breakfasts are cooked fresh and to order.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 01253 625 026 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the directions section of our website. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using www.transportdirect.info; simply enter your postcode and ours, which is FY1 5BG to get directions.
• The nearest railway station is Blackpool North, which is 2.0 miles away (a 25-30 minute walk). Taxis are available at the station. If you require an accessible taxi this can be booked in advance, see contact information for details.
• The nearest bus stop is 500m/546yds from The Aberford – ask the driver for the stop on the Promenade outside The Foxhall. There is no shelter or seating. All buses can accommodate one wheelchair.
• The pavement on the street leading to The Aberford is paved.
• There is a local company from which equipment can be hired, please see the contact information for details.
• This statement is available in larger print upon request..
Car Parking and Arrival
• There is no parking spaces available at The Aberford, however there is a large secure car park 2-3 minutes walk away.
• On street parking is available, this can be busy at all times, however please contact us on arrival as we can sometimes help.
• There is street lighting and provides good illumination.
• There are 3 wide steps to the front door.
• The front door is 980mm/38.5ins wide.
• Assistance can be given with luggage.
• Guests are welcomed in the hallway and directed to the reception, which is level throughout, where they are asked to register.
• Seating is available with long bar benches, as well as dining room upright chairs which have no arms.
• The flooring is carpet, with a small wooden flat dance floor area in the middle of the dining room.
• A pen and a pad of paper are available on request.
• Guests are shown the guest lounge, dining room and their bedroom.
• There is 1 bedroom with twin beds, on the ground floor, with step free level access from the front door. On the first floor there is 4 rooms with a double bed, 2 rooms with 2 single beds and a double bed and 2 rooms with one single bed and one double that are reached by stairs only.
• All the doors to bedrooms are 790mm/31ins wide.
• Furniture can be easily removed or rearranged in every room.
• The height of all of the beds from the top of the mattress to the floor is 450mm/17.7ins.
• Rooms are brightly lit and controlled by a switch on the wall. In addition every room has bedside lamps.
• All of our rooms have the following: lighting as above, good colour contrast between the floor, walls and ceiling,short pile carpet, all bedding is non feather, digital television with audio description and subtitles facilities.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms & Toilets (Ensuite or Shared)
• All rooms have en-suite bathrooms. The ground floor bedroom en-suite bathroom offers the following:
• Door opening to the bathroom is 800mm/31.5ins wide.
• A shower that has a 6in/150mm bottom lip on entry.
• The toilet height is 450mm/18ins
• The wash basin height is under a 100mm/3.9ins.
• screw taps on the washbasin.
• Well lit with overhead fluorescent lighting on the mirror.
• Good colour contrast between the floor and walls. The towels are white.
• The floor is blue safety flooring.
• The doors to the other bathrooms are all 790mm/31ins wide.
• They all have the same lighting and taps as above. All rooms have good colour contrast between floor, walls and ceiling. The towels are white.
Public Areas – Halls, Stairs, Landings, Corridors
• All public areas, halls, stairs, landing are well lit using a combination of ceiling and wall lights. There are also fluorescent emergency lighting in all public areas.
• There is short pile carpet on the stairs, hall and landing.
• There is a continuous flight of 12 steps to the first floor, with 3 more steps to 3 rooms, and 4 more steps from 5 rooms at the front.
Public Areas – Lounge
• The guest lounge is situated on the ground floor with step free/level entry from the front door and stairs.
• The door opening to the dining room is 750mm/29.5ins wide.
• The room has a mixture of seating with low long bench bar seats, some upright chairs available with no arms, 2 bar stools and 3 low coffee tables.
• Lighting is natural daylight and overhead lights, as well as wall lights controlled by dimmer switch.
• Flooring is short pile carpet.
• There is a small unisex toilet, with one hand basin, alongside the stairs on the ground floor.
• The toilet door is behind a fire door and the toilet door which has 690mm/27.2ins.
• There is level entry but no space to the side of the toilet, access by wheelchair would be difficult.
• The toilet height is 410mm/16.1ins.
• The toilet is well lit with a single overhead light.
• The dining room is situated on the ground floor with step free/level entry from the front door and stairs.
• The door opening to the dining room is 750mm/29.5ins wide and it is level throughout.
• Lighting is natural daylight and light levels are controlled by on/off switches to overhead lights.
• The flooring is short pile carpet.
• We are able to cater for varying dietary requirements. Please advise us when making a booking.
• Breakfast is served fresh and to order, however you may help yourself to cereals and fruit juices.
• We have a set of evacuation procedures which are displayed – should you require it someone will come to your room and assist you with evacuation.
• We welcome assistance dogs. A water bowl is available for assistance dogs and can be supplied to rooms on request. However please be aware the owners are dog owners themselves.
• We have tried to ensure each doorframe contrasts in colour with the surrounding wall.
• The nearest Shopmobility is 1mile away on Lytham road.
• The nearest hospital with an A&E department is 3 miles away and the nearest walk-in centre is 2 mile away on Whitegate Drive. Please let us know if you require further information about these.
• Wi-fi is available in all public areas of the hotel, as well as the ground floor room.
• We are currently undergoing improvements to our website in order to make it more accessible, as well as more information on Blackpool. Your comments are welcome to assist us with this.
Address (Inc postcode): The Aberford 12-14 Yorkshire Street Blackpool FY1 5BG
Telephone: 01253 625 026
Grid Reference: SD 30699 35361
Hours Of Operation: 0900 – 2300
Local Carers: Blackpool Carers Center Robson Way Norman House Blackpool Lancs FY3 7PP 01253 393 748
Local Equipment Hire: Blackpool Wheelchair and scooter hire. Mr Leslie Howe 183 Lytham Road BLACKPOOL Lancshire FY1 6EU Tel: 01253408453 Mobile: 07734 167864
Local Accessible Taxi: C-Cabs 01253 29 29 29
Local Public Transport: Blackpool Transport Services Ltd Rigby Road Blackpool Lancashire FY1 5DD General enquiries: 01253 473001 www.blackpooltransport.com